10k Mental Health Fun Run
and finishing at UMN headquarters in Thapathali,
via Sanepa and along the Bagmati river.
Here’s the route: https://www.strava.com/routes/17632854
Who can take part?:
Information for runners:
Preparation for the day:
The T-shirts have arrived!
UMN offices in Thapathali (near St Xavier's College, Maitighar)
Phone: 4228 118 or 4268 900
Thursday and Friday 26th and 27th September this week,
8:30am – 10am and 4-5pm (4-6pm on Thursday).
Please bring your Rs 100 fee if you’ve not paid already.
- Through UMN friends/ family – where possible we will pass on T-shirts to UMN people who can give them to you and collect your fees.
- On the day – Especially for those who have already paid – thank you! For others, this is a last resort if you can’t manage any other option. Please remember your Rs100!
Mental health messages
Due to the stigma and discrimination associated with it, people often do not talk about it, nor do they seek help.
- Nepal’s female suicide rate is the 3rd highest in the world?
- Suicide is the leading cause of death among women of reproductive age (15-49 years)
- Every year more than 5000 suicide cases are reported.
- In the last 4 years, there has been a 13% rise in suicide rates.
Have a look at these websites:
- Preventing suicide: World Mental Health Day 2019 (Video)
- World Mental Health Day 2019: focus on suicide prevention (Article/Video)
- World Mental Health Day (Campaign Detail)
- Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention (Article)
Suicide Hotline Numbers in Nepal:
- 16600 122223 (Free for NTC Users, Managed by Mental health Promotion and Suicide Prevention Centre)
- 9840021600 (Managed by the Department of Psychiatry, Teaching Hospital)
- 16600 102005 (Free for NTC Users, Managed by Transcultural Psychosocial Organization Nepal) Operates: Monday-Friday 10 am-4pm
- Nepal Police 100
- Can I volunteer? – Yes! We will need people to help set up the route and signs and take them down. Also to give out water and direct people on the route. Find out about volunteering.
- Are you raising money? – The purpose is to raise awareness of mental health needs. So we want lots of people to take part and raise awareness. But the nominal entry fee will go towards our mental health work.
- I live in another city/ country. Is there any way I can take part? – Yes! You can run where you are and share your story with us. Join our virtual run!
- Can I walk it? – Yes!
- I have a friend who’s interested. Can they join? – Yes, just send them the link to this page and ask them to complete the booking form.
- Are there lots of hills? – Not really. It’s mostly downhill and then flat. There will be a slight hill at the end coming up to UMN headquarters at Thapathali.
- How long will it take me? Running could take 50-70 minutes. Walking all the way would take around 3 hours (according to Google maps).
- Will there be any water? – Yes, we will provide water along the way.
- What about first aid? – We will have first aid kits at 3 sites along the route, as well as volunteers more regularly who can phone for help if necessary.
- Is there a prize?! – The first three runners through the gate will get medals. Refreshments will be available for everyone at the end. And you can keep the T-shirt!
- I have more questions. – Please contact Ruth at email@example.com